Oct 22, 2006

Happy Birthday to Moi


Flip my bedroom
Originally uploaded by Bizzy Girl.
As I enter my 38th year on this planet (ugh) I am overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of my family and friends.

As a birthday gift, my stepfather wanted to get a couple of rooms in my house painted for me. I was infinitely grateful, as I had semi-started the project myself, only to become daunted when it became more than I could handle. The previous homeowner had painted over some shelves and they were now stuck to the wall. Also the paint they had chosen was not only very dark, but was a semigloss, and the murals of the Looney Tunes characters (the master was formerly a teenage girl's bedroom) were a flat paint. This meant that there would have to be a significant amount of presanding and priming before you could start slapping paint on the walls. This kind of stuff makes me give up.

So away Mike went with the paint chips that Lucy had given me. She is a dear friend of the family and a freelance interior decorater, and had some clear ideas as to what we should do with the rooms. He gathered all the supplies on my list and dug right in.

By my birthday on Wednesday the room was dry. My mother and Lucy came over to get the furniture set up, as I would be taking this bedroom over from my sons, who currently occupied it. The boys were now in my old room. The plan was that Lucy was going to come over on the weekend and get the new bedcovers and window treatments that she had made installed.

What I didn't know what that she had much more planned than she was letting on.

On Friday, not Saturday as I expected, my mother let Lucy into the house and she completely arranged and staged the whole room. She put up new pictures, a new lamp for the bedside table and arranged my dressing table with matching accessories. It was like Trading Spaces when I came home that night and saw it all put together much more beautifully than I ever imagined.

The guest bedroom was finished a few days later, and it looks amazing too. All there is left to do is paint the boys' room and get rid of all the clutter that was pulled out.

My new bedroom rocks. Woot! Thank you everyone for all your efforts. I am truly in your debt.

-Bizzy

2 comments:

scar_al said...

Happy Birthday.. Sorry I missed it.

scar_al said...

Happy Belated Birthday