Oct 15, 2006

It's that time of year again...


Jack O' Lanterns alight
Originally uploaded by Bizzy Girl.
Well Hallowe'en is coming up soon, so the boys and I did our pumpkin carving ritual this weekend. They created their own pumpkin designs from a CD-ROM we have, and did most of the work themselves. I think they did a great job, and I'm very proud of them! Afterwards we turned off all the lights in the house and lit the pumpkins so we could watch them glow.

The boys are getting their costumes ready and looking forward to the 31st with much anticipation. I guess it'll only be a few more years before the customary tromp through the neighbourhood begging for treats is over for them. I remember going out for my thirteenth Hallowe'en and being heckled by my neighbours and admonished that wasn't I getting "just a little too old for this, Cathy???" The truth be told I didn't really care about the candy so much, I was just so reluctant to give up yet another cherished childhood convention.

I can relate to my oldest son a lot at this point. The 'Tweens' is a tough time. All the magic of childhood starts slipping away, and you start going through some seriously dramatic and confusing changes both mentally and physically. I worry about them getting themselves into trouble, and I try to talk to them often to make sure that the lines of communication stay wide open. I want to be the one they come to when they really need to confide in somebody.

In the meantime, I'll keep carving jack-o-lanterns with them, helping them find Easter eggs and prepare cookies and milk for Santa as long as I possibly can....

-Bizzy

1 comment:

scar_al said...

Those are some awesome looking Pumpkins...