Jun 27, 2007

Kitties of Parliament Hill


Kitties of Parliament Hill
Originally uploaded by Bizzy Girl.
While in Ottawa this week on business I ventured up to the top of the city to my favourite place: Parliament Hill.

I'm not sure what I find so fascinating about this site. Is it the image of Pierre Trudeau, one of my personal heroes, sprinting up the steps of Parliament in his brown sandals on his way to work in the morning? Or the whispers of many, many notable politicians and other historic figures that echo through the grounds to this day, and are immortalized in bronze around the perimeter of the property?

Perhaps.

But I think my favourite reason for visiting this awesome spectacle in our nation's capital is the Cat Sanctuary.

For a number of years selfless volunteers have been looking after a clan of kitties that found recluse in a shady enclave at the west side of the property after they were retired from their official mousing duties.

They have had them all spayed/neutered and inoculated against common kitty parasites, and keep them well-fed and watered. They constructed what looks like a cat townhouse complex complete with straw-lined floors for them to cozy up in during the winter and bouts of inclement weather.

There is a coin box at the gate to the sanctuary for anyone who wants to make a donation. It costs the volunteers approximately $6000 per year out of their own pockets to maintain it. To view the official 'Cats of Parliament Hill' blog, go here.

If you are not in the Ottawa area and would like to make a donation, you can mail a personal cheque to the attention of Rene Chartrand, Apt. 1207, 160 Charlotte St., Ottawa, K1N 8Z5.

The kitties say 'Thanks'!

1 comment:

Angel of Delusion said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I thought this post about the kitties was so neat. I love cats and have one of my own. It is good to see that there are folks taking care of the kitties.